- PURPOSE: This event is intended for all fliers and pit crews interested
in a racing event which uses a common aircraft, emphasizes both speed
and economy, and encourages the use of a wide variety of engines.
- All AMA control-line unified racing rules apply, except as follows:
- Airplanes and the entire control systems shall undergo a pull
test of 25 pounds.
- Lines are .015" stranded steel.
- Length is 52 60
feet, plus or minus 6 inches, measured from the center of the handle
to the thrustline.
- Engine: Any design or make of piston engine is allowed,
except that maximum engine displacement is limited to .1999 cubic
inches. Modifications are not restricted within the limits of the AMA
- Fuel tank: Any design of fuel tank is allowed, including pressure
systems, except as follows:
- Fuel capacity is restricted to 1 ounce, with a +5% tolerance,
- The fuel tank shall be fully external of the plane, on the outboard
side of the fuselage, and entirely in front of the leading edge.
- All tank vents are limited to a maximum size of 1/8" outside
diameter. A spring-loaded pinchoff device capping the overflow vent
on a uniflow tank is permitted.
- Glow fuel shall contain a maximum of 10% nitromethane
with minimum 20% oil and the rest methanol.
- Glow fuel shall be supplied by the contest management.
Note: Contest management may provide fuels with differing lubricant quantity
and composition for contestant choice, which shall be announced in advance
- Diesel engines may use diesel fuel.
- Aircraft: The only aircraft allowed is the PDQ Flying Clown or
- Prohibitions and allowances
- Changes to the planform, profile, or wing thickness
are prohibited. Changes in construction for strengthening
or lightening that do not show on the exterior of the model
- Cheek cowls are prohibited.
- Full-sheet doubler up to 1/8" thickness allowed on inboard side of nose
- Other than normal center planking as shown in the Clown
kits, wing planking of any form is not allowed
- No internally connected lines.
- No internal pushrods and elevator horns.
- Adjustable tip weight allowed.
- Leadouts need not be placed as shown on plans.
- Rudder offset need not conform to published plans
- Landing gear:
- Wheels must be a minimum of 1" diameter
- Two wheel gear is required.
- Minimum wheel separation is 5"
- Only wire gear permitted, diameter not specified.
Extra wire bracing is allowed.
Note: Local rules may provide for other configurations which
shall be published in advance of any local competition.
- Equipment prohibitions and allowances:
- Hot glove electrical contact systems are not allowed. In addition
to the "normal" hot glove, any contact device attached to the pit
mans thumb or fingers to allow contact by simply gripping the model
are considered "hot gloves".
- Fast-fill setups are prohibited.
Anything associated with the 1/8" fill tubing other than a
single piece of soft tubing (e.g. silicon tubing) on the
outside is considered a "fast-fill". E.g., shaped knobs,
spring-loaded devices with internal o-rings, fill tubes with
movable components, etc.
No restrictions are placed on the fuel bottle or syringe.
- Shutoffs are allowed but may NOT and MAY be used for racing
purposes. (Shutoffs are a SAFETY item.).
- No added exhaust extensions of any kind are allowed
- Races: All preliminary heats and the final race will be timed for 15
minutes from start to finish. The contestant with the most laps wins.
Preliminary heats may be 7-1/2 minutes if agreed to by a majority of
contestants or required by contest time constraints. Records shall not
be established for heats less than 15 minutes. There shall be either two
or three pilots in heat races. At least three aircraft shall advance
to the feature race. The decision on the number of feature entries
shall be made by the event director in advance before the start of any
preliminary heats. If more than three planes advance to the feature,
races will involve at least two and no more than three airplanes. All
races should be three-up until only two or four competitors remain.
- Other Notes: The event director may disqualify any entrant who is
not in keeping with the spirit or intent of this racing event.